The GCRF GlobalSeaweedSTAR Fund will enable rapid reactivity to emerging crises & foster further international cooperation. The Fund will be managed by Ms Sarah Forgrieve and coordinated by the Executive Group, plus a member of the Advisory Board.
Any scientific or socio-economic researcher based either in a seaweed-producing developing country or in the UK is eligible to apply.
We will fund a multidisciplinary portfolio of seaweed-related projects (£5-50k each) that are:
- directly relevant to the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals; and
- fulfil the OECD Development Assistance Committee (DAC) and RCUK Global Challenges Research Fund criteria.
Travel grants (£2k each) will be awarded to encourage participation of DAC-list countries participants in;
- Sharing Best Practice events to be held in the Philippines (April 2019), Tanzania (2020; Date TBC) and Indonesia (2021; Date TBC);
- Special GlobalSeaweedSTAR sessions at international conferences, including;
- 23rd International Seaweed Symposium, Korea 2019 (DATES)
- Training events and staff exchange between DAC-list developing countries and the UK.
Applications will be selected solely on their merit and expected impact. The research grants will be closely monitored through completion reports detailing initiatives undertaken, presentations, outreach and publications by the grant holder. Travel grants will be monitored by submission of a report and a certificate of conference attendance, if available. All reports will be published and openly accessible via the programme website.